Friday, April 29, 2005

Two for the Price of One

Last night was the Bruce Springsteen show at Nokia Theatre in Grand Prairie.

Yeah.

That's about all I can say - since I am still letting the performance sink in. Now, remember, I have NEVER before seen Bruce live......with or without the E Street Band. Needless to say, I am thrilled I got to see him solo first.

Just to let you see what transpired....I have included his setlist:

Reason to Believe (great beginning - keeping the beat and emphasis by stomping his foot...the purposeful distortion of the bluesy-sounding song made it difficult to understand every word)
Devils and Dust
Youngstown
Lonesome Day
Long Time Comin
Silver Palomino
For You
Two Faces
Part Man, Part Monkey
Galveston Bay
Maria's Bed
Reno
Real World (he took this request straight from a guy in the audience)
My Hometown (my favorite Bruce song...backed only by a piano last night...wow, I got chills)
The Rising (I actually liked this version better than his original)
Further On
Jesus Was an Only Son
Leah
The Hitter
Matamoros Banks
Encore
Oklahoma Hills (with Jimmy LaFave, singer/songwriter from Austin)
Waitin' on a Sunny Day
My Best Was Never Good Enough
The Promised Land

As you can see, it was a great set. I kept looking over at Blue Vertigo to see if he was enjoying himself. I figured, as much as Blue Vertigo plays, he would have an appreciation for the way Bruce plays guitar....but I didn't know just how much. His eyes were usually glued to The Boss or to one of the two large monitors when they focused in on Bruce's hands. He was picking apart the chords and hand placement.....intent on every sound emanating from the guitar. I know he was...I could see the little gears turning in his mind. *shakes head* Guitar players. Sheesh.

We had excellent seats, in the second section, second row...slightly right of center stage. If you didn't already know - - I won them. I didn't know Bruce was coming to play until the day I called in.....and I was pretty excited to win.......because I definitely couldn't have gotten seats this good by begging and pleading for help from the online ticket-vending giants at ticketmaster.com

Not only was the concert GREAT....but we got a small, unexpected bonus. After we got settled in our seats....and Blue Vertigo began 'people watching'......a man walked up to the railing directly in front of us (directly=approximately three and a half to four feet from my living, breathing body).
I glanced...did a double-take.....and then proceded to stare with the most idiotic grin. I kept whispering to Blue Vertigo, "Hey...look...it's (insert name of individual in question here)."
Blue Vertigo was oblivious to me....watching everything else around us.
About 30 seconds later, he looks at me and says, 'Hey, that guy kinda looks like (insert name of individual in question here)."

To which I roll my eyes and emphatically state, "It IS (insert name of individual in question here)."

The mystery man?

PAT GREEN

Yup. I got to grin like the fool ol' girl I am at that man for about four minutes as he carried on a very animated conversation with the guy sitting next to us, culminating with Pat doing little devil horns on either side of his head while discussing what I can only guess would be his behavior later in the evening. I was dumbfounded. I am kicking myself today. Big surprise. I did nothing more than smile and nod a hello at the man.

Unfortunate Serendipity is a wuss. And shy. Thank you very much.

No comments: