Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Now THIS is why I love DFW.....

Bright and early this morning, I found myself shopping at Ann Taylor. EARLY - - as in 7:30 - - that is A.M., people. This coming from the girl who cherishes every moment of sleep she can get, and squeezes an additional six minutes of sleep in after slamming the snooze button on the alarm. Then six more minutes of precious slumber after a second battle with the snooze button....and while at it, yet another six minutes......ad nauseum. You get the picture.

But this morning's opportunity was too good to pass up. Being in HR has its perks - as in vendors who make sure to deliver the swag around holiday time. Said vendor (who shall remain nameless) arranged for Ann Taylor to open early for a group of HR professionals. Special thanks to Ann Taylor for the 15% discount on my purchases and to the vendor for caffeine and the additional inducement to shop (in the form of gift cards.......show me the money, baby!).

I went in, firmly repeating the following statement in my serious voice, "I will NOT purchase anything.....I WILL not purchase anything....I WILL NOT purchase anything.....I will not purchase ANYTHING."

I did not purchase ANYTHING. (Ok, I did buy things...but not just ANYTHING. But that is how I am rationalizing my shopping spree. Well, not spree.....just a minor shopping spurt.)

I was drawn to one outfit and orbited around it......a stunning hand-knit, hip-length ivory cashmere turtleneck with a pair of gorgeous ivory pants. The outfit was topped off with a beautiful winter white cashmere/wool blend overcoat. A beautiful ivory cashmere wrap was draped over the shoulders, held in place with an eye-catching gold and pearl brooch. A jaunty angora hat added the final, perfect touch.

I did the math in my head quickly - trying to be as inconspicuous as possible. I had to take a moment to compose myself so that I did not fall over in a dead faint. Ready? Try $818.00...and that is before tax.

Oh, well. I guess I can always be proud of the fashion sense I do have. Some consolation prize, huh? There was no way I was going to drop that kind of money on an immaculate outfit that would inevitably get dirty within 60 seconds of me putting it on for the first time. (Deep sigh)

I did well for myself, though. My initial pick was a knee-length navy boucle skirt....cute and professional. Then I saw the matching jacket. I couldn't take one home and leave the other to languish....and I just couldn't make myself buy both. So - the skirt went back on the rack.

Next thing I seriously considered was a black angora wrap sweater. But, in the end.....I didn't like the length and realized that I would have to wear something beneath it unless I was willing to show off more of my assets than I am comfortable displaying. (The infamous black top I bought a couple of weeks ago has been retired for that very reason - so if you didn't see it on it's one memorable night out - then you're outta luck.)

Well, I did fall in love with an ivory v-neck angora sweater....absolutely beautiful. It was whispering to me...softly at first. Then it got pretty darn insistent. It WAS going to come home with me.

Then I heard the call of a beautiful scarf.....an off-white wool blend with grey satin ribbon fringe. It practically jumped off the table into my hands and curled itself securely around the sweater. I have to say, it was quite ingenious in doing so - - it knew it belonged there.

As I was heading towards the register....I heard a tiny whimper from the shoe rack. I had to go over there. Anyone who knows me well is aware of my desire to ensure that every pair of shoes on earth finds a loving family. I am proud to declare that I support shoe adoption.....today was no exception. An adorable pair of black mules with a tiny 2 1/2 inch heel followed me to the register.

The damage? The sweater was only $80.00........the scarf was originally $100.00, but on sale for $50.....and the shoes? I am so proud of them. They had an original price of $100.00, but proudly presented themselves with a $30.00 price tag.

Add in my two $25 gift cards....and the $280.00 'shopping spurt' set me back less than $100!!! Yay! Happy Early Birthday to me!

No comments: