Sunday, November 21, 2004

Don't need nothin' but a good time

Last night was fun. Really - it was. And props to my friends and I because we did something fun that actually benefitted a good cause.

Last night, at the Resistol Arena in Mesquite, we attended the 3rd Annual Guns and Hoses Boxing Tournament, benefitting the Guns and Hoses Foundation - which helps support a number of worthy charities in the metroplex, as well as the creation of a benevolent fund for the families of police officers and firefighters killed while in the line of duty.

We were a part of the SMU Police Department group. Yeah, I know I don't work for them and have no affiliation with them...but I have friends who work there - - Patty and Wendy. Their chief bought box tickets and they asked if we wanted to attend with them.

It was quite fun. Very entertaining. I could have done without the Coyote Ugly girls dancing in the ring between bouts....but that's just me. Especially since a couple of them had limited rhythm to begin with. I can pinpoint the reasons for their inclusion in the squad - blond, boobs and booty. That sums it up. By far, the most talented and most attractive one (according to both my buddy and I) was a dark haired one named 'Jonesy'. The girl actually had some curves on her - and some moves - - as well as more personality than the other four put together. So, thumbs up to Jonesy....the only one I liked.

The boxing was interesting. I had never been to a boxing tournament (I am not counting the frequent bouts that occurred between my sibs and I growing up) and I was curious to see if I was actually going to enjoy it. On TV, it doesn't appeal to me. Live, though? Yeah...watching boxing live is actually fun.

All fighters were amateurs, and members of the fire or police departments in cities around the metroplex. There were some good fights (the Dallas PD rookie who gave a serious beat down to a poor firefighter - - drew blood almost instantly - - and had the match called in his favor at the beginning of the second round because his opponent was pretty incoherent by that point) to the match we dubbed 'Butterbean 1 vs Butterbean 2'. The only match I didn't like was their 'title' match between a 56 year old police officer and a 66 year old retired firefighter turned actor. The 66 year old seemed to turn his ankle at the beginning and went down numerous times. I wanted the 56 year old police officer to call off -- but he didn't.

Anyway - afterwards, eleven of us went to Ozona and had a late dinner (late...as in midnight) and sat around and shot the breeze. The only thing I hate about hitting a place like that late on a Saturday night is the drunks who obviously need to be at home, but who insist on remaining in public. One intoxicated idiot was throwing chairs over on the far side of the patio - then came over to where we were and and started giving crap to a guy at a table behind ours. Next thing you know, the drunk had a bloody nose, the waitstaff were out trying to diffuse a highly tense situation and a girl was screaming that she was 'calling the cops'. he he he Funny, ya know - since half of our table carry badges and some carry weapons (at last count, no one sans badge is in possession of a firearm).

Well, I must wrap up now. Need to get some laundry done. Went shopping for jeans - walked in and bought the same style and size I always do - - - only to get home and find that they're too loose. Nice problem to have - so gonna try to shrink 'em!


No comments: