Sunday, February 06, 2005

Habaneroooooouuuuch

When the weather got cold this past week - - I decided I needed to make some chili. The temporary roommate was all for it - and reminded me of his affinity for hot and spicy foods.

To that end, I hit the supermarket and proceeded to gather the ingredients for some world-class chili. Arbol, serrano and habaneros - - - I didn't discriminate. I picked up some of each.

I sauteed some chopped habaneros, serrano and arbol peppers and added them to the mix with the usual ingredients. After simmering, I decided a taste-test was in order. Um......hhhooooootttt. So, to cut the initial 'bang' I mixed in eight ounces of sour cream. It did an amazing job of toning down the initial heat. Of course, it was a misleading little thing. You get the initial flavor of the chili, smooth and quite rich. But, wait for it....wait....wait. Yep - ten seconds later, your mouth is on fire.

I was quite proud of myself. I am such a mischievous chef.

Update: Scrub your hands very, very carefully if you undertake the habanero endeavor. Let's just say my eyes were smarting for two days - because I kept rubbing them.

No comments: