Wednesday, September 08, 2004

....one of the boys

I cannot begin to tell you how much I have missed just being 'one of the boys'.

Wait, you say - - "Aren't you female?"

Why, as a matter of fact, last time I checked, I was...and I am pretty sure - hold on - yep, still a girl. But, I like nothing more than hanging out with the boys. I have always gotten along better with males than I have with females. Chalk it up to being a semi-tomboy growing up. Guys are just more fun to hang out with. My day is not made with four hours of shopping and cucumber sandwiches at a local tearoom. Give me a Cowboys game and a trip to Hooters. I am not as concerned with scheduling a repeat manicure and pedicure.......give me a card game and some locker-room humor. Nothing is better on a Sunday afternoon than cooking chili for a group of guy friends and watching the Cowboys play. Boys are just less complicated. Girls are entirely too competitive for my tastes - who has the better hair, shoes, boyfriend.....guys could not care less. I know that my guy friends don't mind if I just roll out of bed and show up in jeans and a t-shirt, or if I spent two hours primping in front of the mirror. It's all the same to them. And, no it isn't an angle to get a date......these are my 'boys'.....and they don't fall under that type of consideration at any time.

Last night was a perfect example. I met up with Ben and Mike at about 5:30 at Ben's place of business. We shot the breeze, joked around and enjoyed what was turning into a beautiful evening outside. Geoff joined us right around 6:35 or so, and we all piled in Geoff's vehicle for the short ride to The Ballpark.

We had tickets for the Rangers/White Sox game last night. Yes, finally I made it to the Ballpark for an actual game this season, instead of making it up there after the game ended....or just watching the game at home.

We parked quite a distance from the Ballpark, and trudged through the grass, scattering grasshoppers and assorted other insects.....we joked and ribbed one another.....we stared at what is arguably the most beautiful major league park in existence today.

We sat at the top of the second deck, right against the Fox Box, and thoroughly enjoyed the sights, sounds and smells that are inherently a part of a September night in baseball. That little bit of a breeze that carries snippets of conversations from the next section over.....the kids decked out as replicas of their heros below. The stands were not crowded, the fans were enjoying themselves......realizing that the next few weeks will not bring the result they wanted, but still proud of the team they support.

We had a baseball 'virgin' in our midst. I will not disclose his identity, except to say that - for not EVER being to a major league game, he performed very well. Except for when he leaned over and asked, 'Can ya steal first?' I thought he was kidding.....then I realized he was as serious as a heart attack. So, I replied, 'Sure - after the game, if you can get out there before they pull the bags.'

Anyway, it was fun - being one of the boys again. Because, as much as I gripe about men...most of my favorite people on earth just happen to be male. So, viva men! (As long as I don't have to date any of them right now!)

No comments: