Friday, September 10, 2004

Trying to fit the world inside a picture frame.....

I have been feeling rather nostalgic lately - quite possibly because I am about to (finally!) be done with my move to DFW. I was struck with some overwhelming sadness last weekend when I was in Abilene.....having dinner with my parents, my little sis...and another couple (family friends).

The family friends had driven in from Coppell.....they moved there from my hometown a few years ago. My younger sister is in retail management, and is no longer the annoying little pest she was in the good old days. (I take that back..she still has her moments).

But - in the midst of lively dinner conversation, it struck me that I was seeing all of these people with new eyes. When you see people in and out, every day...you grow comfortable with them....things are broken in. For some strange reason, it hit me that everything has changed...no longer am I in the safe, little cocoon that has been my life for the past ten years.

Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying my life...I think. But I am a sentimental girl....I like my memories....and I catalog them in my mind. I take them out and flip through them when I am feeling down, or wistful....or when I am bored...or missing someone.

I was listening to John Mayer the other evening on my way home from a shopping trip with the roommate....and I had him listen to "3X5". I love that song. The lyrics in the bridge actually make a lot of sense:


"Today I finally overcame
trying to fit the world
inside a picture frame"

Pretty interesting verbiage.....I like it. I think I am going to commit to living that way from now on.

No comments: