Friday, October 01, 2004

Take Me Out to the Ballgame.....I am SPOILED....SPOILED...SPOILED now!

Talk about learning how the 'other half' lives.
We have been doing a conversion to a new HR system at work, and I have put in some massive hours. (As opposed to miniature ones, I guess.)

My CFO walked into my office and mentioned some Rangers tickets and asked if I might like to go. (Was there ever a question?)

So, yesterday I found myself at The Ballpark in Arlington (I will NEVER call it by its other name), watching Texas take on Anaheim in the final regular season home game. Yes, I am well aware that the Rangers' loss the previous night eliminated them from post-season consideration. Yes, I know the game 'meant nothing' in the big scheme of things, per se. But, it meant a lot to me.

These weren't just any tickets. No, siree. We're talking lower level luxury suite. As in, 'There's a private bathroom in this thing!' The suite belongs to Wells Fargo and Mike graciously offered them to my company....and my CFO graciously offered them to me. (Mike and Craig have no idea how much I truly appreciate it. Seriously - I was exhausted from the conversion and needed the pure joy one can only experience at a major sporting event.)

The luxury suite was situated on the 1st base side....a little over a third of the way down the baseline. I had a great view of the field and crowd. We were directly above the Rangers dugout and were situated just so that we could see activity going on in the bullpens.

I wandered back and forth from the bar (getting a hot dog, YAY!) to the seating area and settled in the front row of suite seats, bracing my feet against the retainer wall in front of me, wiggling my toes in the comfortable 83-degree air.

I am a fan of evening games...but there was something so liberating, so 'bad' about being away from work and relaxing at The Ballpark right after lunch. Especially when the seats are free. And there were the occasional glances from fans around us.... I have done it before, too......checked out the people in the luxury boxes. I recognized those looks. You know what I mean, right? It felt a little weird to be in one of the boxes...I wanted to stand up and shout - "I'm just like you, too! I'm only here because I was given the tickets!" Kinda felt a little elitist...but I got over it. The game was great, and it was wonderful to end the last home series on a high note.



No comments: