Thursday, January 27, 2005

The Divorce Support Group Meets Here....

Yes, there really is such a thing. And we meet at my casa at 7:00pm on Thursday nights.
Ok - so it isn't as much of a group as it is just me and Ben and Mike, sitting around and watching movies and having dinner together. But, we still have fun.

Tonight Villa d'Freeman will be serving Lasagna (of the Stouffer's variety) and we will be immersing ourselves in the cultural phenomenon known as AVP: Alien vs. Predator. (Yeah, right...do you actually think I get to pick the movie? There are TWO MEN in the group.)

Ben's got the tenure on the divorce thing.....his has been final since mid-July. Mine's been over and done with since August 16th....and Mike's will be final tomorrow. So, tonight is gonna be the last night of 'innocence' for Mike. Can't say that I want to be in his shoes tomorrow. (Mike, hope you're not reading this tonight.)

Still, as much as I hate the thought of anyone going through a divorce, it is a comfort to have friends who have been there/done that...and have the piece of paper to prove it. We all concur that it's difficult to make the conscious switch from calling someone your 'wife' or 'husband'. And that's only the tip of the iceberg.

I still have to stop myself at times from dialing Todd up to share a piece of news. I have literally stopped myself in mid-sentence on a few occasions, saying 'Well, my husband and I......' Wish the judge could flip a switch at the end of the divorce hearing...and make you truly 'divorced'. I still don't feel that way sometimes.

1 comment:

Jerilyn said...

I AM NOT CHEATING ON MY FRIEND-BOY. Plus...you're the one who went out and got a wife and your very own 1 1/2 month old crotchfruit named Zeke. They seem to take up a lotta your time, my friend.

I do need to come and see your new pet - um, I mean child.